Judging a book by its cover. Just don't

I had just had my lunch in this small place in the alley near my office earlier today. As I turned the corner near a streethawker selling cigarettes, I saw this middle-age lady talking on her cell phone.

She had caught my eyes even from a distance. In the middle of the day, sun shining literally on top of your head, she wore this comfy no-sleeve cotton night gawn, bright green with flowery red pattern. Her hair a bit curly and untidy. Smoking a cigarette while talking on the phone. Standing by a streethawker, choosing something.

Can you imagine her? Right. Then I passed by her, and I could hear what she was saying. She said to her friend on the phone "Then (s)he wanted to enter the Indonesian market at 1.3%, I tell you, is (s)he out of his/her mind.."

I must say, I was a bit, um, taken by surprise. I spontaneously looked at her with this awe in my face. Luckily she was too busy with her phone conversation.

Lesson of the day. Never judge a book by its cover. Not even when it is bright green with flowery red pattern.

No comments: